Monday, March 30, 2009

Potty Humor

My three-year-old is obsessed with farting. Seriously. He cannot go for more than twenty minutes without talking about flatulence. He has gotten to the point where he forces himself to fart so he can talk and laugh about it. Here are some fart stories:

  • Last night, we went to Golden Corral for dinner and while we were waiting in line, Andrew began passing gas and telling everyone behind us that he had "stinky farts." When we sat down at our table, Andrew kept trying to talk to everyone at the tables around us about it too.
  • A few days ago, the boys and I were at Target and Andrew started letting stinkers. This is what he told everyone in Target, as loud as he possibly could: "Mommy, I just had stinky farts. Why do my farts smell like poop?"
  • When I am trying to change his diaper, he will put his hand under his butt so that he can feel the fart come out. No joke - the kid is crazy about his gas!

I'm pretty sure that he is amused by all bodily functions, and by private body parts as well. Yesterday I burped, and the kid seriously laughed about it for ten minutes, and tried to mimic the sound. And, tonight at dinner he started talking about his butt, which caused him to laugh hysterically. It's pretty disgusting that he was talking about his butt at the dinner table, but he was laughing so hard that everyone else was laughing too.

Obviously, it's inappropriate for him to talk to people in public about his bodily functions, and I have been trying to discuss this with him. I'm convinced that only a little boy could find farting this funny. I am hoping that this is just a phase that he'll grow out of. Right now it's still kind of funny, and there have been a few embarrassing incidents (like Target and Golden Corral), but most grown men are still amused by their own flatulence, so who knows? He may never grow out of it. Hopefully we can just control it in public situations. Oh boy.

1 comments:

Kathi said...

:) My 8 year old still thinks it is funny too. Boys never grow out of that stage. Sigh.

Sorry about yesterday. I had to pick Brooke up from school because she was sick - and she's home today, too. No idea whether she'll go to school tomorrow either. I should have called but I was overwhelmed with three sick kids (and the fourth one is perfectly fine and annoyed that life isn't revolving around her, since she is so healthy).

enough rambling.
Kathi :)