Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Children Are Special

I love that my children have a relationship with their Heavenly Father. It fills me with joy that my children are communicating with their Father in heaven.

Family Home Evening is difficult with young children. Their attention spans are so short. So for our FHE, we have decided that our children can concentrate enough to have an opening and closing prayer, a song or two from the Children's Hymns, and a chapter from the Book of Mormon Reader. This has been going great! I am amazed at the grasp they have on what they are being taught.

Currently, we are reading about Lehi's dream and Nephi's vision. When we first read about Lehi and his dream, we mostly focused on the fact that Laman and Lemuel were the bad brothers who did not want to partake of the fruit of the tree of life, and that Nephi and Sam were the good brothers. This seemed to make sense to him, and we were happy with that.

So, last night we read about Nephi's dream, and the meaning of the things his father saw in his vision. I am so amazed at the knowledge that a four-year-old is capable of retaining. We talked with him about how the iron rod is the word of God and that the fruit of the tree is God's love. He loved the story and that made me so happy.

Later on, Joseph was pretending that he was in the wilderness . He told us that he was holding on to the iron rod so that he wouldn't fall into the river, and that he was on his way to eat the white fruit. (Tears...) I know that he already has a love for the gospel. This might seem like such a simple thing, but I love that he has taken what we talked about to heart. I hope that he will be able to remember these things throughout all of his life. I am thankful that my child is like Nephi and Sam, and wants to partake of the fruit of the tree of life. What a blessing!

For as often as I am stressed out by my children, moments like this make all of my stress fade away. I remember what my purpose is; I remember that I am a mother first, above all things, and that it is my responsibility to teach my children the gospel. It is a huge responsibilty, and I am thankful that Heavenly Father entrusted me to teach such wonderful little spirits!

My heart just melts when I hear my children say prayers. Joseph and Andrew always say that they are thankful for one another. They are so sweet when they pray. Their prayers are so meaningful and heartfelt. Even when I hear my children say that they are thankful for McDonald's, I know they mean it! Something like that is important to a little child, and I love that my children know that all of their blessings come from Heavenly Father, even McDonald's.

Children are so special. They are able to teach us just as much as we teach them. Heavenly Father tells us to be as children, and I can see why. They are so close to Him. They don't question or doubt. They have perfect faith. I am so thankful for my little angels, and I can only hope that I can be as good a mother to them as they deserve. I hope that in the midst of this world that we live in, I can have a home that will be a sanctuary for them; a haven where they can escape the turmoil of their surroundings; a heaven on earth. And I am thankful that Brad and I had the wonderful blessing of being sealed in the temple so that our family can be together forever!

1 comments:

Jami Jackson said...

Loved the post and it's so true! I'm always amazed at how easily my girls are taught.

Hey, I would love to get that bread recipe from you sometime. Just email it to me when you get a chance! Thanks!