Sunday, November 16, 2008

Giving Thanks











This is my backyard. You would think that it would be hard to feel anything but happiness if this was what you were looking at out the window at every day. Yet, I manage to feel more and more gloomy every day that I spend here. I am desperate for Morgantown! I never thought that I would be saying that.

I wish that I had been more thankful for Morgantown when I had lived there. All I ever did was complain about it. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I'm not sure why I disliked it so much. But it really is a great town, filled with wonderful people. I can't begin to explain how much I miss it, but I'll try.

Reasons I Miss Morgantown, WV:
  1. Friends. We had so many wonderful friends, who we had so much in common with.
  2. Family. We were relatively close to most of our family. Joseph and Andrew loved that grandma and grandpa lived so close.
  3. WVU. I LOVE WVU. I can't think of any school on the planet where I would rather get my education. Not to mention, who doesn't love seeing a flaming couch flying off a second story balcony.
  4. Cost of living. I used to think that Morgantown was expensive until I moved here. Even MILK is more expensive here. Everything is double the cost.
  5. Kids Korner. While we have found a really nice daycare here in Martinsburg, we will always love Kids Korner. Our kids had such a great time there, and they really miss all of their friends and teachers.
  6. Good doctors. Even though I used to complain about Ruby Memorial Hospital, I always knew that everyone in our family was getting proper medical care. It really is a great hospital, and it uses all of the most current technology and medical practices.
  7. Cooper's Rock. There is nothing better than escaping to Cooper's Rock for the afternoon. Great fun - for free!
  8. Parks. There is nowhere for our kids to play here. There is one really big park that is overrun with teenagers who have nothing better to do than hang out on playground equipment made for toddlers and cause trouble. That's basically our only option.
  9. An insect-free environment. I have been covered with bugbites from the second that we moved here. It is November. You'd think that all of the bugs would be gone for the winter. Nope - if it is above forty degrees, you get attacked by huge swarms of bugs here.
  10. Safety. I can honestly say that I have never been anywhere so scary. I am terrified of this place. You couldn't pay me to send my kids to public school here.

And so, on that note, we intend to move back to Morgantown next August. We need our family and our friends close by. We need to have good medical care and goods schools for our children. I need the University that I love, flaming couches and all. And most of all, we as a family, need to be able to afford to live. Morgantown, sweet Morgantown, I promise that I will never take you for granted ever again!

In the meantime, I know that I need to be thankful for all of the wonderful things that I have. I really have a lot to be thankful for. I may not be happy in this town, but I have a wonderful husband, who loves me and treats me like a queen. I have two beautiful children, and although they drive me crazy sometimes, they really are wonderful little boys and my life would be incomplete without them. So for the next nine months or so, I just have to remember to be thankful for all of the wonderful blessings I have in my life, and hopefully Morgantown will have me back!

1 comments:

Jami Jackson said...

I am so with you on the missing Morgantown thing. I never thought I would miss it this much but I seriously crave it every day. I miss the beauty, the small town feel, and most of all the people. I don't think I'll ever have friends here like I had there. It's nice to be close to family here, but there's just something different about being out on your own and having good friends as your family.

I'm totally jealous that you are moving back. It's probably nice to have that to look forward to.