Friday, February 27, 2009

A Place for Everything, and Everything in its Place

I have been super motivated this week. Since we've moved to the eastern panhandle, I feel like I have had no motivation to be a homemaker. But suddenly this week, the bug bit me. We had a little extra money, since we got a nice big tax return this year, so we decided to splurge on some new furniture for our living room.


Looks pretty nice, huh?


Our old furniture had become very dingy and disgusting. Pastel colors and toddlers do not mix! Last year I bought material to reupholster my sofa and love seat. In May 2008, I was about 3/4 of the way finished with the love seat and haven't touched it since.

I don't know what I was thinking. It is something that I know how to do, but I don't know what I was thinking taking on a task like that when I am a full-time student, a wife, and a mother to two insane toddlers! It was just completely unrealistic to finish that project, or to even start it in the first place. I think the realization that the project was too difficult was the beginning of my motivation actually.

My house had sat, literally untouched since a week after we moved in. Most of our belongings were still in boxes in our garage, and our walls were bare. It's hard to feel at home when you have no where to sit. So, once we got the furniture in the living room, it became easy to accomplish the rest of what needed to be done. I spent the week scrubbing our house from top to bottom, organizing various areas of our house, hanging curtains, and removing decorative items and photos from their hiding place (the garage) and hanging them.

Now our house is sparkling clean, and for the first time since August I actually feel at home! It's amazing what a little bit of old fashioned housekeeping can do to lift your spirits!